Job Opportunity - Full-Time Specific Claims Researcher
Deadline for applications is Monday, June 22, 2009
UBCIC Research has an opening for a full-time specific claims researcher. Reporting directly to the Senior Researcher and Research Director this position will focus on advancing specific claims and supporting UBCIC Research educational initiatives to the BC Aboriginal research community.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Identifying, copying, scanning, labeling and filing of relevant documents and maps from public and private archives, government offices and university libraries
- Creating and maintaining bibliographies
- Analyzing documents
- Writing research reports and memoranda summarizing documentation and setting out research findings
- Undertaking other research and administrative tasks as may be required
- Providing advice and reference services to community-based researchers
- Assisting with workshops, conferences, lectures and publications.
- Strong comprehension of specific claims research policy
- Strong understanding of reserve creation history in BC
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant fields or equivalent experience
- Excellent analytical skills and previous archival research experience
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Proficient computer skills including internet skills
- Practical experience with specific claims research procedures is an asset
- Strong knowledge of the vision and goals of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs
The Union of BC Indian Chiefs hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. However, qualified Aboriginal applicants will be given priority.